Chole Chawal (grão de bico com arroz)
It's a simple dish made with canned chickpeas and the help of my trusty rice cooker. 30-minute-dish
A couple of onions, a can of chickpeas, a few spices and my rice cooker all ensured that my one-pot meal was ready by the time the heating system was sorted out. For pretty much instant yet mildly flavoured rice, I added two bay leaves, a stick of cinnamon and a large black cardamom to the water in the rice cooker.
In the 20 minutes that it took to cook the rice, I sliced some shallots and an onion, and grated ginger and garlic. Once those were nicely browning in my wok, I add the drained and rinsed chickpeas and sauteed them for a bit with spices and salt. Then I added a handful of halved cherry tomatoes and add those in as well.
The chickpea mix was ready by the time the rice was done, and all I had to do was mix the rice in. For myself, I crumbled some lovely little dried Mexican chillies - pequin chiles - over my rice to give it some heat.
This chickpea rice, served with a dollop of Greek yogurt and some wonderful spicy pickled whole baby mangoes (maavadu or vadu maanga).
(deu fome?.. I am really starving lol)
Recipe from: http://www.anothersubcontinent.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t2761.html
Chole from scratch always takes a very looong time to cook. But here's a recipe from "The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking," by Yamuna Devi (pp 73-74).
1 and 1/4 cup dried chickpeas (see step one, below for soaking instruction)
5 and 1/2 cups water
1 bay leaf
5 tbsp ghee
2" piece of cinnamon stick
6 black peppercorns
1/2 tsp cardamom seeds
8 whole cloves
1 tbsp cumin seed
1 tbsp shaved and minced ginger root
1 tsp seeded hot green chili
1 tsp turmeric
1.5 tsp paprika
1 tbsp ground coriander seed
1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 to 1/2 tsp asafetida (if not Cobra brand, lessen quantity by 3/4s)
1 large ripe tomato, diced
1-1and 1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp amchoor powder or 3 tbsps fresh lime juice
3 tbsps coarsely chopped coriander
1. Sort through the beans, rinse & drain. Soak overnight (or for at least 8 hours) in 5.5 cups of (room temp) water
2. Place chick peas in their soaking liquid in a heavy 3-4 quart saucepan. Add bay leaf and a dab of ghee -- bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to moderately low, cover with a lid and boil gently for 1.5 - 3 hrs until beans are soft. If using a pressure cooker, combine ingredients in a 6 quart pressure cooker, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from heat; let pressure drop by itself.
3. Drain chick peas, saving liquid. Discard the bay leaf. Take out 1.3 cup of the soft beans and mash to a coarse paste.
4. Combine and grind cinnamon stick, peppercorns, cardamom seeds, cloves and cumin in an electric coffee mill to make your garam masala.
5. Heat 3 tbsp of the ghee in a heavy 2-3 quart pan over mod. heat. When it is hot, stir guinger, green chili and fry until browned. Remove pan from heat and dprinkle in the turmeric, paprika, ground coriander, cayenne and asafetida. Stir well. Place pan over the heat and immediately drop in the tomato. Stir fry for 4-5 mins or until ghee separates from the spices and tomato.
5. Stir in salt, whole chick peas, mashed chick peas, 1/2 cup of the cooking water and the amchoor powder (or lime juice). Reduce heat tolow, cover and simmer until liquid is reduced to a thick sauce. Stir in ghee, sprinkle with garam masala and the chopped coriander garnish.
- ► 2012 (25)
- ► 2011 (90)
- ► 2010 (107)
- Em dia de visita de Hillary Clinton, ataque deixa ...
- Jovem de tribo conta como escapou da guerra (en es...
- Video de casamento no Paquistão
- EUA atacam o Pak novamente
- Terremoto e nervos
- Comida típica: Chole Chawal
- Aulinha de URDU
- Trechos do Corão 'aparecem' em pele de bebê russo
- Música, letra e video
- Brasileiras no Paquistão- reportagem globo
- Confuso com o Fuso
- Opnião de jovens paquistaneses sobre o atual estad...
- Ataques de talibãs matam pelo menos 26 no Paquistã...
- Notícia boa do Japão!
- Trekking no K2, visto e dicas de viagem
- Obama e seu prêmio de merda!
- Um mês difícil pra mim
- Reporter paquistânes estressado...
- Paquistânes com habilidade de passar pela porta
- Horário de verão!
- Carro Paquistânes
- Ataque em Rawalpindi
- Video sobre terror na Cashemira
- Ai ai de novo em Peshawar!
- Sexo na TV na Arábia Saudita
- Marca na testa
- Quando ele pede dinheiro..
- Não é Europa, é Paquistão- fotos lindas!
- Mais um atentado suicida!
- Paquistão é um país pobre?
- Paquistânes dá vitória ao Rio 2016!
- Resultado da Enquete, inspiração, traição e blá bl...
- ▼ October (32)